Saturday, August 2, 2008

Chicago Update

I'm still in Chicago. Here's a little history of why I'm here. I work with Soccer United Marketing in International Communications. I am a Public Relations major in college and last year I did an internship with SUM. They have been nothing but great to me and they call me up sometimes to travel out to an event to help them out. SUM represents Major League Soccer, US Men's and Women's National Team, Mexico and now Barcelona. I have been fortunate to be able to work in one of the things that I love; soccer.

This weekend I will be working with Media Relations and the Barcelona Tour Press Officer for the Barcelona vs CD Gualdalajara game in Soldier Field. This is going to be a huge media event for two reasons. First, Chivas is the most popular team in Mexico and have a huge following in Chicago. Chivas fans and media will be in full force. Secondly, Barcelona is a media circus. They have 25 members of media that travel with the team and with world-class players like Messi, Et'o, Rafa Marquez, Puyol, Xavi, to name a few, media from all over the world will decend in Chicago.

This is a sweet gig. Sometimes I feel like I won some sports auction event. I know that many people would pay to do what I get to do. Who wouldn't want to be able to interact with these huge sports figures and stay in plush hotels and have all access passes to practices, team meetings, press conferences and interviews. Then on game day, I get to be on the field during the game and be able to go anywhere in the stadium. WHo wouldn't want that? Then on top of that, I get all expenses paid for and then receive a paycheck for my services! I'm thankful because when I tell people how I got this job (another day), they are amazed. Don't get me wrong, it's not a vacation. I will be pulling long hours and will be exhausted afterwards but it's a great job.

Anyways, this is where I will be until Monday. I will be taking lots of pictures and blogging as much as I can. Don't forget that you can also follow me on Twitter.


Good night beautiful world.

No comments: