Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ministry and The Single Man


I was backstage sitting in the green room during a service at our church recently. I was having a conversation with one of my married friends and the conversation turned into the topic of relationships. She asked me why I was still single with so many beautiful women at our church. My friend's husband is a pastor at Flamingo Road Church and both she and her husband's parents are pastors. I tried to explain that as a pastor's kid myself, finding the right girl is tougher in my opinion.  To me, being a girl that loves God is just the beginning. Think about it, as a PK, I have been around ministry life since I can remember and I plan to be in ministry as long as God allows me. Being in ministry is not a typical life; there has to be a delicate balance between church and family time. To me, it's very important to be with someone who understands that. 

My question is to both the single and married people in ministry. If you are single, how do you balance ministry with those you date? It's gotta be tough to find time during the weekend to be together. What adjustments do you make and how do you find that balance? If you are married, how important was this issue when looking for a spouse and how important was it after marriage? How do you ad your spouse approach the topic and how much harder is it with kids?

1 comment:

Ariel Rose said...

We'll probably be at 'Dale next weekend.
And in answering that question, I think I answered the question on your blog.
I, too, was a PK. It's been tough at times being in ministry, especially when the church my Dad was a Pastor of closed, but I plan to be in ministry as long as God allows me as well.
When it comes to relationships, it's VERY important to balance the ministry with the person whom you're dating.
Like you said, it's more than finding someone who goes to church. I think it's about finding someone who has passion for God and the ministry He created them for.
Kevis and I have been together almost 4 years now, and I think we balance pretty well. It's hard some weekends, but in the end it still works out. As long as you keep God first in your relationship, or in any relationship, He will provide the time you get to spend together.